An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

In a situation where an importer leases tankage from another company, e.g., from a for-hire terminal, who must register such import facility, the company that owns the terminal, the importer that leases the tankage, or both?

Under § 80.2(r), an importer is defined as "a person who imports gasoline or gasoline blending stocks or components from a foreign country into the United States...." Accordingly, it is the importer of the gasoline, and not the owner of the terminal from whom the importer leases tankage, who must register under § 80.76.(10/17/94)

This question and answer was posted at Consolidated List of Reformulated Gasoline and Anti-Dumping Questions and Answers: July 1, 1994 through November 10, 1997 (PDF)(333 pp, 18.17 MB, EPA420-R-03-009, July 2003, About PDF)