An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

We are considering developing a PTD that lists ethanol and denaturant as separate items being transferred. RINs would be generated for the entire volume of denatured ethanol. If, for example, we transfer 950 gallons of ethanol and 50 gallons of denaturant

The RINS should not be split between ethanol and denaturant. Section 80.1153(a) of the RFS rule refers to "the volume of renewable fuel that is being transferred" as necessary information for PTDs. Denatured ethanol is the "renewable fuel" in your example. It would be incorrect to split the RINs between ethanol and denaturant.

This Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (59 pp, 228 K, EPA420-F-08-006, April 2008, About PDF)