An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

We are a marketer of ethanol products. Sometimes personnel at ethanol plants make mistakes as to the number of gallons being loaded or produced. How do we "recall" erroneous RINs if the number of RINs exceeds the number of gallons we receive?

The parties (producers) selling ethanol to you have an obligation to transfer appropriate RINs to you. A producer who is also a marketer may assign up to 2.5 RINs per gallon of renewable fuel. A producer who is not a marketer may only assign RINs up to the renewable equivalence value (EV).

If a company receives an excess number of RINs assigned to a gallon, then the producer would be in violation. To rectify this, a producer may ask a recipient to retire the excess RINs. There is a retirement code on the reporting form for RINs generated in error and that code should be used.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)