An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

We are a producer of ethanol. If we have 10,000 gallons in inventory on September 1, 2007 and 25,000 came from our production facility A, 25,000 came from our production facility B, and the other 50,000 we own but received from various other producers, ho

As an ethanol producer or importer, you may assign RINs to the product you own on September 1, 2007. As far as how to handle the facility identification number fields in the RIN, you will want to consistently document and assign the other 50,000 RINs to one of your registered facilities as of September 1, 2007.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)