An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

What are the requirements for a foreign producer who wishes to generate RINs for the renewable fuel they produce?

Foreign producers who plan to generate RINs must register and conduct a third-party engineering review pursuant to section 80.1450. Additionally, such foreign producers must meet the requirements in section 80.1466 prior to generating any RINs for their fuel. The requirements in section 80.1466 include requirements such as posting a bond, committing to allow EPA inspections of the foreign production facility, and segregating the renewable fuel for which RINs are generated from non-renewable fuel and other renewable fuel that is not being imported into the U.S.