An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

What is the process to retire a RIN? Is this a reporting function that is done with the EPA?

RINs are retired for reasons specified in the regulations and must be reported to EPA. A retired RIN may not be used for compliance purposes or traded to another party. A retired RIN is reported to EPA in a RIN transaction report and the total number of RINs retired during a quarter is reported to EPA in the gallon-RIN activity report.

A RIN transaction report that reports a retired RIN must describe the reason for retiring the RIN. Potential reasons include reportable spills under regulation Section 80.1132, import volume corrections under regulation Section 80.1166(e)(2), renewable fuel used in boiler or heater under regulation Section 80.1129(e), RINs that are invalid (other than expired RINs) or RINs required to be retired in the context of an enforcement action. For reporting requirements, see regulation Section 80.1152.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)