An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

When is a RIN generated for ethanol that is imported into the U.S.?

Ethanol imported for use as motor vehicle fuel would typically be downloaded from a ship into on-shore tankage and then denatured. (Ethanol shipped to the United States from other countries is not typically denatured prior to or during shipment.) Importers should generate RINs for imported ethanol when the denaturant is added at the off-loading tankage. Thus, the facility number used to create these RINs would be the tankage facility where the denaturant is added. See also question 2.2.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)