An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Where a company is both an obligated party and an importer of renewable fuel, the company will generate RINs in its importer capacity and separate the RINs from the volume of imported fuel in its capacity as an obligated party. Is this activity considered

No transaction report is required for internal company transfers as all RINs are owned at the corporate level. The company would submit a RIN generation report for the RINs it generated for the imported renewable fuel and a compliance demonstration report to demonstrate compliance with its RVO. The company would also submit a quarterly gallon-RIN activity report.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)