An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Which non-obligated parties are allowed to participate in the credit trading program? Producers (with extra value RINs), oxygenate blenders, marketers?

Anyone can participate in the RIN trading program, subject to the requirement that the party first register with the EPA and then adhere to other regulatory requirements, including submitting required reports (such as quarterly reports on RINs held).

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)