An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Will ethanol and biodiesel plants have to track the RIN all the way to the refiner, or just to the next owner of the renewable fuel?

Refer to the response to Question 3.3. Each party that owns assigned or unassigned RINs, including an ethanol or biodiesel production plant, is required only to keep records of and report transfers of ownership of those RINs its receives and that is passes to the next owner. See sections 80.1151 and 80.1152 of the regulation.

Question and Answer was originally posted at: Questions and Answers on the Renewable Fuel Standard Program (PDF) (55 pp, 221 K, EPA420-F-07-041a, August 2007, About PDF)