An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Would a refinery that receives RBOB from another refinery and blends oxygenate(s) with that RBOB to make RFG also have to register as an oxygenate blender?

Yes. Under § 80.2(mm), an oxygenate blender means "any person who owns, leases, operates, controls, or supervises an oxygenate blending facility, or who owns or controls the blendstock or gasoline used or the gasoline produced at an oxygenate blending facility." Under § 80.76(a), registration is required for "any oxygenate blender that produces any reformulated gasoline." In addition, the refiner-oxygenate blender would be required to demonstrate compliance with the oxygen standard for the RFG produced in its oxygenate blending capacity separately from the RFG produced as a refiner.(10/31/94)

This question and answer was posted at Consolidated List of Reformulated Gasoline and Anti-Dumping Questions and Answers: July 1, 1994 through November 10, 1997 (PDF)(333 pp, 18.17 MB, EPA420-R-03-009, July 2003, About PDF)