Technical Corrections for GHG Reporting
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued several amendments to 40 CFR Part 98, including technical corrections and revisions amendments. These actions were:
- 2013 Technical Corrections
- 2012 Technical Corrections
- 2011 Technical Corrections
- 2010 Final Rule Revisions and Technical Corrections
2013 Technical Corrections
December 16, 2013: EPA’s e-GGRT system is now accepting best available monitoring methods (BAMM) requests from facilities and suppliers who are newly subject to 40 CFR Part 98 as a result of the changes to the global warming potential (GWP) values in the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule finalized on November 29, 2013. More information on these special provisions.
November 29, 2013 EPA finalized amendments to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program (GHGRP). The amendments consist of three parts: Technical Amendments, Amendments Related to Global Warming Potentials (GWPs), and Confidentiality Determinations for new or revised data elements.
These changes improve the GHGRP by clarifying compliance obligations and reducing confusion for reporters, improving consistency of the data collected, and ensuring that data collected through the GHGRP is representative of industry and comparable to the annual U.S. Greenhouse Gas Inventory (Inventory).
- 2013 Revisions to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule and Final Confidentiality Determinations for New or Substantially Revised Data Elements; Final Rule (PDF) (79 pp, 936K)
- Correction to 2013 Revisions to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule
On January 22, 2014, EPA published a correction to a minor error in the November 29, 2013, final rule entitled “2013 Revisions to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule and Final Confidentiality Determinations for New or Substantially Revised Data Elements.” The correction corrects a header to the amended Table NN-2, a table in subpart NN (Suppliers of Natural Gas and Natural Gas Liquids), which had inadvertently been listed as Table NN-1. The error did not extend to the information contained in the Table, and reporters will be able to use the amended Table for their RY 2013 reports. Notice (PDF) (2 pp, 248K)
- Fact Sheet
- Memo: Table of Final 2013 Revisions to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule
- Correction to Proposed Rule (PDF) (2 pp, 255K)
2012 Technical Corrections
On August 3, 2012, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency finalized technical corrections to address concerns raised by reporters and to correct errors. The final amendment provides greater clarity and flexibility to facilities subject to subparts A (General Provisions), I (Electronics Manufacturing), L (Fluorinated Gas Producers), W (Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems), and TT (Industrial Waste Landfills).
- Preamble and Rule (PDF) (19 pp, 462K)
2011 Technical Corrections
On November 9, 2011, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency finalized technical corrections and other clarifying amendments to seven subparts under the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule (40 CFR part 98). In this action, EPA amended 40 CFR part 98 to correct technical and editorial errors and to address certain issues identified as a result of working with entities required to report during rule implementation and outreach. In general, these amendments do not change the overall requirements of the rule but improve clarity and ensure consistency across the calculation, monitoring and data reporting requirements. In addition, EPA has provided a one-time extension of the reporting deadline to September 28, 2012 for any entity that reports under the following source categories:
- Electronics Manufacturing (Subpart I)
- Fluorinated Gas Production (Subpart L)
- Magnesium Production (Subpart T)
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems (Subpart W)
- Use of Electric Transmission and Distribution Equipment (Subpart DD)
- Underground Coal Mines (Subpart FF)
- Industrial Wastewater Treatment (Subpart II)
- Imports and Exports of Equipment Precharged with Fluorinated GHGs or Containing Fluorinated GHGs in Closedcell Foams (Subpart QQ)
- Carbon Dioxide Injection and Geologic Sequestration (Subpart RR)
- Manufacture of Electric Transmission and Distribution (subpart SS)
- Industrial Waste Landfills (Subpart TT) and;
- Injection of Carbon Dioxide (Subpart UU)
2011 is the first year for data collection for these subparts. As such, EPA is extending the reporting deadline to ensure that there is sufficient time for development and stakeholder testing of the electronic GHG reporting tool for these subparts.
- Final Rule (PDF) (25 pp, 341K)
Final Rule: Revisions (December 17, 2010)
EPA has finalized revisions to certain provisions of the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule (40 CFR part 98). The final rule was published in the Federal Register on December 17, 2010. In this action, EPA amended 40 CFR part 98 to correct technical and editorial errors and to address certain issues identified as a result of working with reporters during rule implementation and outreach.
- Preamble and Rule (PDF) (81 pp, 667K)
- Fact Sheet
- Information Sheet
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Technical Support Document
- Response to Comments
Effective immediately, any future Best Available Monitoring Method (BAMM) requests must be submitted in hard copy to one of the following addresses:
- For package delivery (Preferred): Carole Cook, c/o Director, Climate Change Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1310 L Street, NW, 802e, Washington, DC 20005. Phone: 202-343-9263
- For U.S. mail: Carole Cook, c/o Director, Climate Change Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Mail Code: 6207J, Washington, DC 20460
Final Rule: Technical Corrections (October 28, 2010)
EPA has finalized technical corrections, clarifying and other amendments to the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule, which was published on October 30, 2009. EPA proposed these amendments after input from an extensive outreach campaign to stakeholders responsible for reporting their greenhouse gas information. In general, the amendments do not change the overall requirements of the rule but improve clarity and ensure consistency across the calculation, monitoring and data reporting requirements. These technical corrections were published in the Federal Register on October 28, 2010.
- Preamble and Rule (PDF) (47 pp, 376K)