Identifying Greener Landscaping
Our exterior spaces provide opportunities to connect with nature, exercise, and play while also serving important roles in mitigating air, water, and resource impacts from the human-built environment. There are many environmentally preferable approaches to landscaping products and services and this webpage provides some resources to help you choose safer and greener options.
- Integrated pest management
- Salvaged and recycled-content materials
- Low embodied energy materials
- Permeable surfaces for storm water management
- Use of native, climate-appropriate plants
- Energy-efficient and solar-powered lighting
- Low- or zero-emission landscaping equipment
- GSA’s Green Procurement Compilation (GPC)
- EPA's Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines (CPG) for landscaping products (federal purchasing requirements for recycled content).
- EPA Guide, Soak Up the Rain to help prevent water pollution, reduce flooding, protect water resources, beautify our landscapes, and bring many benefits to our communities.
- EPA’s Introduction to Integrated Pest Management
- USGBC's LEED Site and Grounds Management Policy Template Exit