MPG and Your Wallet (Text Only)
See: Infographic version of this information
Buying a high MPG vehicle saves you money at the pump.
"Less carbon pollution, too!"
- Annual Fuel Cost of $2,625 at 20 MPG
- Annual Fuel Cost of $1,050 at 50 MPG
Assumes 15,000 miles per year and $3.50 per gallon.
But what if my MPG varies?
Let's compare how much fuel two cars use over a year.
- 20 MPG to 19 MPG (750 gallons to 789 gallons)
- 50 MPG to 49 MPG (300 gallons to 306 gallons)
A loss of 1 MPG costs:
- 39 gallons and $138 for the 20 MPG car
- 6 gallons and $21 for the 50 MPG car
- Losing 1 MPG on the 20 MPG car costs more than losing 1 MPG on the 50 MPG car.
Even a loss of 5 MPG at 50 costs you less than 1 at 20.
- "Yep! That's 33 gallons and $117."
Small differences in calculated gallons and cost may occur due to rounding.
Though MPG varies, Higher MPG always saves fuel and carbon!!