On August 31, 2020, EPA confirmed for the public and state air agencies that nine areas attained the1997 ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) by their respective attainment dates. This action recognizes the effort these areas took to address ozone air quality and ensures that they will not be subject to consequences for not attaining the standards as required. The areas are:
- Buffalo-Niagara Falls, New York;
- Jamestown, New York;
- Jefferson County, New York;
- Poughkeepsie, New York;
- Shoreline Sheboygan County, Wisconsin;
- Inland Sheboygan County, Wisconsin;
- Denver-Boulder-Greeley-Ft. Collins-Loveland, Colorado;
- San Francisco Bay Area, California; and,
- Ventura County, California.
This action confirms for the public and state air agencies that these areas are not subject to reclassification and other anti-backsliding consequences for failure to timely attain the 1997 ozone standards.
A summary fact sheet is available below.
- EPA is withdrawing its direct final rule published on October 9, 2020, intended to codify in 40 CFR part 52 and confirm for the public and state air agencies that nine areas in four states attained the revoked 1997 ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards by their respective attainment dates. EPA will consider an adverse comment received on the parallel proposal published on the same day, and will include a written response to the comment in a subsequent final rule. A pre-publication version of this notice is available below.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Fact Sheet: Implementation of the Revoked 1997 8-Hour Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards; Updating Federal Regulations to Show Areas that Attained by the Attainment Date (PDF)(2 pp, 193 K)
Implementation of the Revoked 1997 8-Hour Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards; Updates to 40 CFR Part 52 for Areas That Attained by the Attainment Date; Withdrawal of Direct Final Rule (PDF)(3 pp, 190 K)
(Pre-publication Federal Register Notice)