Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Colonial Marble Products Ltd in Petersburg, Virginia
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
On June 14, 2006 an onsite meeting was held to discuss the facility history, verify the results of a file review and gather information concerning the facility's conditions. Attendees at the meeting included Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ), Colonial Marble, and prospective buyers. EPA determined that the investigation and clean closure of the Drum Storage Pad at the former Colonial Marble Products facility satisfied the corrective action obligations at the facility at this time. A Statement of Basis (SOB) with EPA decision was noticed on October 24, 2006. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on December 12, 2006 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
Interactive Map of Colonial Marble Products Ltd, Petersburg, VAView larger map
The former Colonial Marble Products facility is located at 1412 Farmer Street in Petersburg, Virginia at the southeast comer of the intersection of Farmer Street and Fairgrounds Road. The facility contains a two-level masonry block building with concrete floors on approximately 1.6 acres of land on the south side of Farmer Street. The site building is approximately 128 feet wide from east to west and 284 feet long from north to south. There are no other structures on the facility.
The facility is currently unused. The initial use of the site was for the sale/storage of tobacco, conveyed to Farmer's Realty Corporation by the City of Petersburg, in 1955. The property was then conveyed to Mr. T. Winston and Kathleen Pruitt (former owner, unspecified usage) in 1959, and then to The Farmer Street Company in 1972 (use not specified). In 1981, The Farmer Street Company conveyed the property to Arthur Winer Incorporated (use not specified), which was subsequently conveyed to Yukon Associates (current owner) in 1985, where it was utilized for the manufacturing of cultured marble operating as Colonial Marble from 1985 to 1997. From 1998-1999, Bloom Brothers Furniture Store utilized the property for new furniture storage. Pennington Seed, Inc. used the property for approximately one year in 2000 for storage. The building was reportedly vacant from January 1, 2001 to April 30, 2002. From May 2002-January 2004, the site was used by Central Marketing for storage of equipment. Since February 2004, the property has not been occupied.
Colonial Marble generated hazardous waste materials in 55-gallon drums during cleaning of equipment and materials. The materials used to make the synthetic marble are not characterized as hazardous; however, the cleaning solvents used to clean molds, hand tools and other equipment are hazardous. They contain methylene chloride and various components of the brand name solvents "Tipsolve" and "Super Flush." These components included a few F00l and F005 listed hazardous waste constituents.
Institutional Controls were not required at the site.
This facility is currently unused.
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the EPA Region 3 with assistance from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.