Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Radford Trading LLC (also known as: Radford Foundry) in Radford, Virginia
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
A Statement of Basis, dated June 10, 2019, was developed by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ) and EPA for a final RCRA corrective action remedy decision. A thirty (30) day comment period was announced in the Roanoke Times newspaper on July 3, 2019 and on the VDEQ website. The public comment period ended on August 2, 2019. No comments were received and a Final Decision and Response to Comments (FDRTC) was issued on August 5, 2019. The final remedy decision represents “Corrective Action Complete with Controls” and requires the Facility to maintain certain property mechanisms known as Institutional Controls (ICs).
The facility’s final remedy is currently being implemented through an environmental covenant that meets the requirements of the Uniform Environmental Covenant Act (UECA). The covenant was recorded at the City of Radford, Circuit Court Clerk’s office with the facility’s land deed on June 17, 2020.
Interactive Map of Grede - Radford LLC (also known as: Radford Foundry) in Radford, Virginia
View larger map
Various foundry buildings have operated on the property since the 1890s. The former New River Foundry became operational in 1977 and produced medium-sized iron parts for automobiles, farm equipment and construction equipment. The former New River Foundry was owned and operated by subsidiaries of Intermet Corporation from 1977 until May 2010 when it was sold to Virginia Casting Industries, LLC. Virginia Casting Industries, LLC owned and operated the Facility until March 2012 when the Facility was sold to Grede Radford, LLC. Grede Radford, LLC owned and operated the Facility until early 2014 when the Facility closed. The property is now owned by Radford Trading, LLC. Most of the foundry equipment was decommissioned, dismantled and removed from the Facility in late 2015 and early 2016.
The Facility is bounded by the demolished Former Radford Foundry to the North; the New River to the West; railroad tracks and parking lots to the South; and West Main Street to the East.
Numerous hazardous chemicals, non-hazardous chemicals, and petroleum products were historically used during the manufacturing process. The raw chemicals and petroleum products were stored in small aboveground storage tanks (ASTs), 55-gallon drums, and carboys.
Solid non-hazardous wastes generated at the facility included commercial wastes, foundry production wastes, and waste fluids. Commercial waste was disposed off-site through contracted trash hauling services. Foundry production wastes were formerly disposed at on-site landfills until the landfills were full.
The contaminants of concern (COCs) include metals, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and Semi-Volatile Organic Compounds (SVOCs).
The final RCRA CA remedy decision requires the following ICs be implemented and maintained:
- The property shall not be used for residential purposes unless it is demonstrated to VDEQ that residential use will not pose a threat to human health or the environment and VDEQ provides prior written approval for such use.
- Groundwater beneath the Facility shall not be used for potable purposes unless and until it is demonstrated to VDEQ that its use will not pose a threat to human health or the environment and VDEQ provides prior written approval of such use.
- To ensure that potential exposures to hazardous constituents in soil and groundwater encountered during construction or other intrusive activities are minimized, the then owner of the Facility shall comply with, and ensure that its contractors comply with, the Materials Management Plan prepared by Haley & Aldrich, Inc. dated September 2018, as the same may be amended by VDEQ.
The facility ceased operations in 2014 and is currently vacant. The current owner has plans to reuse the facility for commercial/industrial purposes.
The VDEQ is the lead Corrective Action regulatory authority for this project. Please contact the VDEQ project manager listed below for details on this project or the contents of this fact sheet.