Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Advansix Resins & Chemicals - Chesterfield (Formerly: Honeywell Resins and Chemicals LLC) in Chester, Virginia
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
EPA signed a Final Decision document for the corrective measures to be implemented at the AdvanSix Resins & Chemicals (AdvanSix) Chesterfield plant on April 19, 2017, (see Cleanup Status section for details). Design documents for these corrective measures are currently being developed and construction is anticipated to start in the Fall of 2017.
EPA signed a Final Decision document for the corrective measures to be implemented at the AdvanSix Resins and Chemicals Chesterfield plant on April 19, 2017. Design documents for these corrective measures are currently being developed and construction is anticipated to start in the Fall of 2017. EPA’s final remedy consists of:
- Monitoring natural attenuation of groundwater until drinking water standards are met
- Operation and maintenance of an existing slurry wall, cover containment structure and the contingent groundwater extraction system at a former unlined acid pond
- Excavation and removal of sludge materials at a former process waste sludge pit
- Installation and maintenance of a multi-layer sediment cover with long-term monitoring at discrete sections of the Western Cooling Water Ditch
- Installation and maintenance of a vapor control system in the onsite warehouse building
- Development and implementation of a Cap Management Plan (CMP) and a Materials Management Plan (MMP)
- Compliance with and maintenance of the CMP, the MMP, and other land and groundwater use restrictions
An Interim Remedial Measure (IRM) for Solid Waste Management Unit 4 (SWMU-4) was approved by EPA on February 6, 2015. The SWMU-4 IRM is complete and includes a barrier wall, impermeable cap, and dewatering system. The IRM will contain the source material released from SWMU 4 and allow groundwater to attenuate more quickly.
Interactive Map of Advansix Resins & Chemicals, Chester, VAView larger map
The AdvanSix Chesterfield Plant (previously known at various times as the Allied Fibers and Plastics Company, Allied Chemical Corporation, Allied Fibers Company and Honeywell International Inc.) is located on Bermuda Hundred Road, approximately 1.5 miles north of Hopewell, Virginia in Chesterfield County. The facility is situated on about 552 acres of land on the western bank of the James River, just north of the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers.
AdvanSix Chesterfield currently produces polymer fibers and resins (Nylon 6) through the polymerization of the raw material caprolactam for use in consumer products. No product line other than nylon fiber has historically been manufactured at the facility. Prior to the purchase of the property for industrial use in 1954, the land was used for agricultural purposes.
Contaminants at this Facility
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs) have been identified in ground water monitoring wells near past waste management areas at the site. Specific chemicals found in the groundwater include: 1,1,1-trichlorethane, 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane, trichloroethylene, 1,1-dichloroethane, and tetrachloroethylene.
Institutional and Engineering Controls at this Facility
Institutional and engineering controls are required at the AdvanSix Chesterfield facility and are documented in the Final Decision document signed by EPA on April 19, 2017.
Land Reuse Information at this Facility
The facility maintains its current use and there has been no reuse of the facility property to date.
Site Responsibility at this Facility
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the EPA Region 3 with assistance from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.