Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Kelly-Springfield Tire Company in Cumberland, Maryland
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
Kelly Springfield Tire Company purchased the 82-acre property in 1917 and manufactured rubber tires. Kelly Springfield operated the tire manufacturing plant at the site from 1921 to 1987. The major structures at the facility consisted of manufacturing buildings, tire assembly and curing facilities, office buildings, testing laboratories, and warehouses. Between 1941 and 1942 the facility was converted to produce 550 caliber shell cartridges for the army.
After several environmental investigations that provided analytical data for soils, sediments, and groundwater a final remedy of corrective action complete with controls was determined for the former Kelly Springfield facility. The final remedy included groundwater monitoring for inorganic constituents until maximum contaminant levels (MCLs) were met. This requirement was accomplished with the last round of groundwater sampling that was completed at the site in November 2010. In addition, future use of the property will be restricted to industrial and commercial purposes. Also, Allegany County is required to file a notice with the recorder of deeds for Allegany County, Maryland that will inform prospective buyers about the residual contamination present at the site. Allegany County is also required to notify EPA and Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) of Allegany County's intent to transfer, lease or modify the property's use for other than industrial or commercial purposes at least sixty calendar days prior to the change.
Interactive Map of Kelly-Springfield Tire Company, Cumberland, Maryland
View larger map
The Board of County Commissioners of Allegany County, Maryland, purchased the Kelly Springfield Property in June 1991 from the Maryland Economic Development Corporation (MEDCO), which purchased the property from Kelly Springfield in 1987. At that time all manufacturing operations were discontinued. The manufacturing and processing facilities have been demolished and removed. The site has been subdivided and is being sold for redevelopment. Several small parcels have been sold and small businesses now occupy these locations.
Some low level concentrations of volatile organic compounds and manganese had been identified in on-site groundwater. However, the volatile organics were not found in the site perimeter wells and the manganese was not found above background levels in the site-adjacent Potomac River. Semi-volatile organic contaminants were found in on-site surface and subsurface soils at acceptable levels for industrial/commercial property.
Potential exposures to Facility contaminants have been eliminated by requiring institutional controls that prohibit groundwater use for potable purposes and restrict the Facility property to non-residential purposes.
The site is being reused.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the EPA Region 3 with assistance from Maryland Department of the Environment.