Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation in Linthicum, Maryland
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
The facility operates as a large quantity generator storing waste for less than 90 days at three areas: Hazardous Waste Disposition Center, Paint Shop Area, and the Hangar Area. Waste is managed in containers at these areas and numerous satellite accumulation points. At one time, the facility operated a permitted storage facility, but it is no longer in use.
Review of all available records and discussions during a June 16, 2010, site visit indicate that there have been no reportable releases, no instances or evidence of soil or groundwater contamination, no site remediation, and no past, current, or planned monitoring efforts necessary at this Facility. The record review and site visit are documented in the Final Environmental Indicator Inspection Report which is contained in the Administrative Record.
A Final Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Site Visit Report was issued on September 7, 2010 for the Facility. A Statement of Basis (SOB) was noticed on January 21, 2011. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on March 7, 2011, stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
Interactive Map of Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation, Linthicum, Maryland
View larger map
The Northrop Grumman site is located adjacent to Baltimore-Washington International Airport, along Fort Meade Road (Route 170) in Linthicum Heights, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The facility encompasses 129 acres with almost two million square feet under cover. Personnel and security are on-site 24 hours per day, seven days per week. The facility is highly secure, utilizing Department of Defense levels of security. Surrounding land use includes the Baltimore-Washington International Airport, industrial and business parks, wooded areas, and some residential areas.
Northrop Grumman is a manufacturer of defense electric components, principally for the military. Manufacturing operations began at this site in 1951; prior to 1951, the area was a large fruit orchard. Much of the process consists of bench top operations. The manufacturing procedures include a circuit board shop, model shop, plating shop, paint shop, assembly, soldering, adhesives, and ink labeling, among others. In addition, the facility has a number of planes used to test the electronic components.
The facility operated as a large quantity generator storing waste for less than 90 days at three areas: Hazardous Waste Disposition Center, Paint Shop Area, and the Hangar Area. Waste is managed in containers at these areas and numerous satellite accumulation points. At one time, the facility operated a permitted storage facility, but it is no longer in use.
Institutional Controls were not required at the site.
The site's future use is yet to be determined.
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the EPA Region 3 with assistance from Maryland Department of Environmental Protection.