Hazardous Waste Cleanup: 1400 North Cameron Incorporated (Formerly: NL Ventures V Cameron LP) in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
The facility have completed the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) corrective action requirements and a Statement of Basis has been completed and a public notice has been issued by the EPA. The Final Remedy requires compliance with an Environmental Covenant that restricts the Facility property used for residential purposes and from using groundwater for any purpose as well as monitoring groundwater for Trichlorethylene (TCE) contaminants and maintaining the soil caps.
Interactive map of 1400 N Cameron Incorporated, Harrisburg, PA
1901 Atlas of Harrisburg indicates the buildings were part of Steelton and Harrisburg Brick Company. In 1943 DPC acquired the site from Harrisburg Steel Corporation. DPC was a government corporation that builds industrial plants to supply WWII. This building was known as Plancor 502 and manufactured Demolition bombs, shells and high pressure gas cylinders, there were no live charges. April 1949 the site was sold to the Commonwealth of PA. In June 1951 the Air Force notified the Commonwealth of PA that this property was required for national security purposes. The lease was automatically renewed until May 1956.Tentants since has been Thompson Inc in the 1950’s and TRW from the 1960’s to 1986. Chormalloy was established and took over operations from TRW in 1986. The Capital Region Economic Development Corporation purchased the Facility in March 2006. NL Ventures purchased the Facility in April 2006 and leased the Facility to Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc. which manufactured airplane parts until January 10, 2010. In 2012, 1400 N Cameron Inc purchased the Facility. Presently there are no operations (manufacturing or commercial) at the Facility.
Major contaminant of concern is Trichlorethylene (TCE) in groundwater and chromium in the landfill.
Institutional Controls implemented through an environmental covenant include: 1) the groundwater shall not be used for any drinking or agricultural purpose without treatment 2) Property shall be used solely for nonresidential, 3) Property grantee shall have a continuing duty to maintain the pavement caps and/or structures overlying the fuel oil spill on the Property. Also remaining soils or other materials where such excavation or removal occurs shall either meet 1) applicable statewide health standards or numeric based sire specific standards approved by the department in writing and all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations and ordinances pertaining to the environment and occupational safety or 2) be covered with materials that eliminate the pathway of exposure to the underlying contamination and is capable of physically supporting the intended use of the area.
The facility is unused.
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 with assistance from Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP).