Hazardous Waste Cleanup: ABB Incorporated Product Support (Formerly: ASEA-Brown Boveri) in Greensburg, Pennsylvania
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
An investigation in 1994 of the ABB Incorporated Product Support facility (Facility) concluded that the "Facility requires no corrective action at this time" but suggested that the former landfill parcel that was sold by ABB in 1985 should be characterized. However, sampling results from Superfund's 1991 Site Investigation (SI), a 1981 letter from the Facility to EPA, the 2002 Environmental Indicator (EI) Inspection Report, and visual inspections in 1991 and 2008 suggest that only non-hazardous materials were disposed of in the former landfill and that any impacts from materials placed in the landfill fall under protective levels. In April 2009, EPA issued a Final Decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls for the Facility.
Interactive Map of ABB Incorporated Product Support, Greensburg, Pennsylvania
View larger map
The ABB Incorporated Product Support facility is located in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. The Facility is approximately 5.5 acres. The Facility is bordered by Broad Street to the east and south, by Theobold Avenue to the north, and by railroad tracks to the west.
The Facility has been in operation since 1958. It was formerly used for the plating and etching of electrical parts in conjunction with the manufacturing of high-voltage circuit breakers. Currently the Facility operates as a circuit breaker servicing and maintenance facility, as manufacturing capabilities moved to a new plant in Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania in 2003.
The 13-acre Facility was divided in 1958 into northern and southern parts. The southern part includes most of the current operational buildings. The northern plant area was sold in 1985. That part of the site is now leased to the Facility. In 1985, the two-acre inactive landfill located south of the Facility also was sold. This unlined and unauthorized landfill was active from the early 1980s until 1988. This area was inspected in 1991 by the EPA Region 3 Superfund program manager. The area was covered with asphalt at that time and used as an employee parking lot. The toxicological evaluation of 1991 determined that "samples … revealed notable levels of benzo(a)pyrene (PAHs) and low levels of polychlorinated biphenyl (PCBs) in soils/sediments and elevated metals in surface waters and some soils;" however, these levels are below acceptable risk levels established by the EPA.
EPA toxicological evaluation of 1991 determined that "samples … revealed notable levels of benzo(a)pyrene (PAHs) and low levels of PCBs in soils/sediments and elevated metals in surface waters and some soils;" however, these levels are below acceptable risk levels established by the EPA.
Institutional Controls were not required at the site.
The facility is under continued use.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3.