Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Dominion Corporate Aviation Hangar (Formerly: Reynolds Aviation) in Sandston, Virginia
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
Reynolds Aviation Division (Reynolds) was a former lessee of the property located at 5700 Clarkson Road in Richmond, Virginia 23250. Dominion Resources Services Inc. (Dominion) currently leases the three-acre property from the Capitol Region Airport Commission (CRAC) to maintain and store jet aircraft. It is not clear when Reynolds began to lease the property, however Dominion's lease started in the fall of 2000. Alcoa purchased Reynolds Corporation in 2000.
The aviation hanger is located on an area of land approximately three acres in size. The Facility was constructed between 1956 or 1957, and is approximately 20,000 square feet is size.
A Final Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Site Visit Report was issued on March 18, 2008 for the Facility. A Statement of Basis (SOB) was published in The Voice on April 1, 2009. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on May 6, 2009 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
Interactive Map of Dominion Corporate Aviation Hangar (Formerly: Reynolds Aviation), Richmond, VAView larger map
The aviation hanger is located on an area of land approximately three acres in size. The building construction was completed between 1956 and 1957. The hanger (including) office space total approximately 20,000 square feet.
There are two aviation fuel Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) at the Facility. The closest surface water body is the White Oak Swamp Creek, approximately one quarter mile east of the Facility.
Dominion is currently registered as a conditionally exempt small quantity generator (CESQG) of hazardous waste due to an on-site parts washer. No releases of fuel have been detected or reported from the fueling station to the environment. Additionally, a 1,000-gallon jet fuel UST was “clean closed” in May 1997 under the oversight of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ’s) Tank Program.
Institutional Controls were not required for the facility.
The facility is in continued use.
RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of the EPA Region 3 with assistance from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.