Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Former TRW Danville Site in Danville, Pennsylvania
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
From 1852 through the 1980s, TRW disposed of waste liquids at the Danville plant in four unlined earthen disposal pits and nineteen underground storage tanks. Consequently, waste oils, solvents, and waste liquids have leaked into the soil and groundwater.
The soil was contaminated with such substance as petroleum products, volatile organic compounds, polychlorinated biphenyl (PCBs), arsenic, chromium and lead. Beginning in 1985, TRW removed all the underground storage tanks and contaminated soils.
The groundwater was contaminated with volatile organic compounds, petroleum products, and PCBs. Under the supervision of Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP), TRW began operation a groundwater remediation system in April 1989 which continues to the present. The system included slurry cutoff wells, monitoring and recovery wells, a vacuum extraction system, a granulated activated carbon filter, and an air sparger. The groundwater remediation system was formalized in a February 1994 Consent Order and Agreement with PADEP (amended October, 1994). Reports required by the Order show that as of 1996, migration of the groundwater is under control.
On March 24, 1998, EPA determined that both the Human Exposures and Groundwater Environmental Indicators have been met. EPA is currently evaluating the information to determine if all of the corrective action requirements have been met. A statement of basis for corrective action with controls was posted on August 26, 2015.
Interactive map of Former TRW Danville Site, Danville, PAView larger map
TRW is a 250,000 square foot site located in Danville, Montour County, Pennsylvania. The major operations conducted at the plant were forging, cutting and grinding, chrome plating, and packaging of valves for various internal combustion engines. This facility is no longer operating.
Iron parts have been built on this site since 1847. TRW bought the property in 1951 and the valve division began operations in 1981. In 1983, TRW moved the part of the division that generated hazardous waste to Route 11 and Woodbine Lane in Danville (now Aldan Industries).
The groundwater contains volatile organic compounds, PCBs, and petroleum products. Currently, the groundwater remediation system prevents the groundwater from migrating offsite.
Institutional Controls enforced through an Environmental Covenant include:
The site is unused.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3.