Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Nu Kote Imaging International Incorporated in Derry, Pennsylvania
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
An Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection was conducted in September 2008 to determine whether human exposures to contamination and the migration of contaminated groundwater were under control. Although it appears that contamination from the facility is not widespread, further investigation will likely be necessary in order to determine whether both EIs are under control.
EPA/Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) is reviewing existing environmental information to determine if further investigation is required. EPA/PADEP will focus first on the health and groundwater impacts, if any, presented by the facility. Once EPA/PADEP completes this review process, an environmental indicator determination will be prepared and posted to this website.
On July 3, 2019 , Environmental Indicator Human Exposure Under Control was completed, and on August 16, 2019 , the Environmental Indicator MIgration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control was completed. On September 30, 2019, the Corrective Action Final Decision of "Complete without Controls" for the facility was finalized.
Interactive Map of Nu Kote Imaging International Incorporated, Derry, Pennsylvania
View larger map
Prior to 1946, the property was used as farmland. In 1946, the property was purchased by Pioneer Fuel who constructed an industrial facility. In 1964, Pioneer Fuel sold the property to Keystone Alloys. Records of the activities performed at the Site by Pioneer Fuels and Keystone Alloys at the Site are incomplete.
In 1966, Chamberlain Manufacturing Corporation (Chamberlain) purchased the property from Keystone Alloys. Chamberlain manufactured aluminum siding, storm doors, and windows. Chamberlain operated an aluminum anodizing line, which included several concrete dip tanks located at the western end of the building. The number and exact locations of the dip tanks in use during Chamberlain’s ownership are unknown. The dip tanks reportedly were removed and/or backfilled and covered with concrete. Chamberlain continued production at the Site until 1977, when the property was sold to Imaging Systems Corporation (ISC), a manufacturer of toners and developers for copiers and printers.
In 1978, Pelikan, Inc. (Pelikan) leased the property from ISC and continued with the production of toners and developers. Pelikan eventually purchased the property from ISC in 1989. Pelikan continued production until 1995 when the company was sold to NuKote. NuKote continued with the manufacture of toners and developers until 1998, at which time operations ceased.
The facility was a large quantity hazardous waste generator (LQG) which included solvents used in manufacturing process.
No institutional or engineering controls are required at the facility.
The site's future use is yet to be determined.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 with assistance from PADEP.