Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Prestolite Battery Division in Reading, Pennsylvania
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
The facility closed hazardous waste operations in 1986, under an approved plan by Pennsylania's Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP).
In PADEP visited the Eltra Corp.-Prestolite Battery Division facility and met with company representatives on August 8, 2002. EPA determined environmental indicators under control and Human Exposure and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater were under control on January 30, 2004.
The Site completed remediation under the Pennsylvania Act 2 program in March 2016. The property is currently occupied by headquarters of a construction company.
Interactive Map of Eltra Corporation - Prestolite Battery Division, Reading, Pennsylvania
View larger map
The Former Eltra Corporation facility is located at 4700 N. 5th Street, Temple, Pennsylvania. The site was used from 1956 until 1986 as a plant for manufacturing lead acid batteries from pig lead and sulfuric acid. Lead was shipped to the facility in approximately 1,000-pound block. It was then melted at the facility and cast into battery components. Lead was generated as a hazardous waste (D008) at the facility. American Real Estate purchased the facility in 1987 and has leased it to various tenants for non-manufacturing activities.
The primary contaminant of concern was lead.
The need for Institutional Controls is yet to be determined.
The site's future use is yet to be determined.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3.