Regulations promulgated in May 1980, established requirements for the transportation of hazardous waste by rail (volume 45 of the Federal Register starting on page 33150). The amendments in this December 31, 1980 rule changed the regulations:
- to allow shipments of hazardous waste to be transported by rail transporters without a manifest, provided the shipment is accompanied by certain information on the manifest;
- to require under certain circumstances initial rail transporters to forward copies of the manifest to the next non-rail transporter or the designated facility;
- to clarify signature requirements of the manifest and rail shipping paper; and
- to eliminate recordkeeping requirements for intermediate rail transporters.
- Transportation of Hazardous Waste by Rail, Interim Final Amendment, Federal Register Notice (PDF)(5 pp, 265 K, December 31, 1980, 45 FR 86970)