An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Hazardous Waste Part A Permit Application

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires anyone who owns or operates a facility where hazardous waste is treated, stored, or disposed to have a permit. The permit application is divided into two parts, Part A and Part B. The Part A application is submitted on a designated form, EPA form 8700-23, and requires basic information about the facility, while the Part B application is submitted in narrative form and is often lengthy. This application is required for a federal permit to treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste under RCRA. The instructions explain the process for obtaining a RCRA hazardous waste permit and how to complete the forms for the application. The forms provide required information about a facility and:

  • the processes to be used for treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes
  • the design capacity of such processes, and
  • the specific hazardous wastes to be handled at a facility.

Documents and Instructions