This training module:
- Introduces the concept of burning hazardous wastes in units regulated under RCRA and outlines the requirements for one type of device — the incinerator.
- States the conditions under which an owner/operator may be exempt from 40 CFR subpart O
- Defines principal organic hazardous constituent (POHC) and describes the criteria under which a POHC is selected
- Defines destruction and removal efficiency (DRE)
- Describes the interaction between compliance with performance standards and compliance with incinerator operating conditions established in a permit
- Explains the definition and purpose of a "trial burn."
Access other training modules that provide overviews of other specific RCRA regulatory topics here.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- RCRA, Superfund & EPCRA Hotline Training Module: Introduction to Hazardous Waste Incinerators (PDF)(17 pp, 81 K, February 2000, EPA360-R-99-052)