EPA inspected American Zinc Recycling (formerly Horsehead Corporation) on August 1, 2012 and issued a Section 114 Information Request on November 14, 2012. EPA inspected American Zinc Recycling again on March 31, 2014 and issued a Notice and Finding of Violation on April 14, 2014. EPA issued a Section 114 Information Request on May 29, 2014.
EPA reached a settlement with American Zinc Recycling in April 2020 for alleged violations of the Clean Air Act from its zinc metal refining facility in Chicago. Under the settlement, the company will upgrade air pollution controls to reduce particulate matter and dust pollution from the facility.
News Release : EPA Settlement with American Zinc Recycling to Reduce Air Pollution in ChicagoYou may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- AMERICAN ZINC RECYCLING CORP. (formerly known as Horsehead Corp.) Consent Decree (PDF)(72 pp, 2 MB, April 29, 2020)
- Horsehead Information Request (PDF)(13 pp, 204 K, May 2014)
- Horsehead Notice and Finding of Violation (PDF)(13 pp, 146 K, April 2014)
- Horsehead Information Request (PDF)(13 pp, 107 K, Novemebr 2012)
- Horsehead Inspection Report (PDF)(5 pp, 56 K, October 2012)