An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Importing Vehicles and Engines

Exporting United States Vehicles or Engines

If you are exporting a United States-version vehicle or engine, you will need to check the requirements of the country to which the vehicle or engine is being exported. Some countries may require you to submit a copy of the vehicle’s or engine’s Certificate of Conformity and Certificate Summary Information (test data).

Vehicles intended for sale in the United States are designed to run on unleaded gasoline. Use of leaded gasoline may damage certain emission control components. If you are exporting a United States version motor vehicle, and you believe that unleaded gasoline may not be available in all areas that the vehicle will be driven, you may obtain authorization from EPA to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensors before the vehicle is shipped overseas. Removing the catalyst and oxygen sensors prior to shipping the vehicle overseas protects them from possible contamination from leaded gasoline. The catalyst and oxygen sensors must then be reinstalled when the vehicle returns to the United States.

To obtain EPA authorization to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensors, call EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance at 202-564-2260. The vehicle owner is responsible for determining whether unleaded gasoline is available or used in the country in which the owner intends to operate the United States-version vehicle.