An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Importing Vehicles and Engines

How to Obtain a Copy of a Certificate of Conformity for a Heavy-duty or Nonroad Engine

A Certificate of Conformity is the document that EPA issues to an engine manufacturer to certify that an engine class conforms to EPA requirements. Every class of heavy-duty engines/vehicles and nonroad engines introduced into commerce in the U. S. must have a Certificate of Conformity, and they are valid for only one model year of production.

If you are exporting a heavy-duty highway engine or nonroad engine from the United States to another country, they may require certification. A Certificate of Conformity and Certification Information will contain the emission standards the heavy-duty on-highway engine or nonroad engine was certified to.

EPA maintains a database of certification data for heavy-duty highway engines and nonroad engines/equipment (model years 1998 to the present).  You will need to know the engine family number (found on the emission label) to obtain certification information from this database.

  • Go to Engine Certification page.
  • Choose the type of engine.
  • Choose the model year.
  • Depending upon the model the information will be in either Excel spreadsheet and/or File Maker (in File Maker search by the manufacturer or engine family name).

If you were unable to find in the database a Certificate of Conformity or test data for a heavy-duty highway or nonroad engine, please provide the following information to EPA’s Imports Hotline by: email to Imports Hotline at; fax to 734-214-4676; or phone to 734-214-4100.

  • Model year of engine.
  • Type of engine (nonroad gasoline or diesel, heavy-duty highway gasoline or diesel).
  • Manufacturer.
  • Engine Family number (11 characters using both numbers and letters – printed on the emission label, which is located on the engine or in the engine compartment of the equipment).
  • Your name.
  • Contact information (address, email address, or fax number where you want EPA to send the Certificate of Conformity).