Asthma triggers can be found at school. An Indoor Air Quality Management Program can reduce the pollutants, irritants, and triggers and help provide a healthier school for students and staff.
There are many steps that a school district can take to reduce asthma triggers:
- Have an IAQ Management program such as IAQ Tools for Schools, see www.epa.gov/iaq-schools
- Enforce no-smoking policies in schools
- Maintain the ventilation system to ensure proper airflow
- Use Integrated Pest Management to prevent pest problems, see www.epa.gov/managing-pests-schools
- Fix leaks and moisture problems to reduce mold growth
- Clean and dust properly to reduce dust
To learn more about how asthma relates to schools and steps schools can take to reduce asthma triggers, visit www.epa.gov/iaq-schools/managing-asthma-school-environment.
To learn more about a school IAQ Management Plan and IAQ Tools for Schools, visit www.epa.gov/iaq-schools.