An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)

Who has the authority to ban or limit exposure to environmental tobacco smoke?

Several state and local governments have passed legislation or instituted regulations to ban smoking in work places and public places such as restaurants, bars, and parks. This may include state prisons, local jails, and other detention facilities in some areas. Your local jurisdiction may be the most responsive resource for inquiries. Your state or local health department may be able to provide you with information on smoking prohibition policies and activities in your area. However, there may be other organizations that monitor legislative changes on secondhand smoke policies more regularly (see ).

Contact information for specific state indoor air quality or environmental offices can be located at