Definition of Verifiable School IPM
Integrated pest management (IPM) is a sustainable approach to managing pests by combining biological, cultural, physical and chemical tools in a way that minimizes economic, health and environmental risks. This definition is found in U.S. Code at 7 U.S.C. 136r-1.
Verifiable school IPM is an ongoing activity that includes these documented elements:
- Understanding your pests.
- Setting action thresholds for key pests – knowing when to take action against key pests.
- Monitoring for pests, their locations and populations.
- Removing conditions that allow pest infestations.
- Using one or more effective pest control methods including sanitation, structural maintenance, and nonchemical methods in place or in combination with pesticides.