An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »


I am a renovator, and I want to comply with EPA’s Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule. What do I need to do?

Answer: EPA’s RRP rule sets up requirements for firms and individuals performing renovations in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, such as schools and daycares.  

  • Firms must be EPA certified. To become EPA certified, renovation contractors must submit an application and fee payment to EPA. Once certified, the firm will be able to advertise that they are certified by EPA under the RRP program, and will also be given rights to use EPA’s “Lead-Safe Certified Firm” logo.  
  • Renovations covered by the rule must be performed or directed by a Certified Renovator. Individuals can become a lead-safe certified renovator by successfully completing a one-day training course in lead-safe work practices. The training courses are offered by EPA-approved private training providers; there is no additional fee to EPA.  Find a training provider in your area.

Training providers must be accredited to provide the specialized, one-day lead-safe work practices training.  Classes teach the specific work practices that contractors need to protect themselves and their clients from lead contamination, and to allow them and their firm to work legally.  Certification is immediate upon successful completion of the training class. 

Question Number: 23002-18001

Find a printable PDF copy of all frequent questions pertaining to lead.