An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »


If I complete an EPA-accredited abatement course and receive EPA certification where am I eligible to work?

Answer: EPA runs the Federal abatement program under Subpart L in all States and Indian Tribes that have not received authorization under Subpart Q to operate their own programs.  If you are certified by EPA under the lead-based paint abatement program you are eligible to work in all EPA administered jurisdictions.  Find the current list of jurisdications where EPA runs the lead abatement program.  

Question Number: 23002-33446

Find a printable PDF copy of all frequent questions pertaining to lead.