An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »


If I completed renovator training in an authorized state, what do I need to do to work for an EPA certified firm in EPA-administered jurisdictions?

Answer: There are no additional requirements.  To become a certified renovator or certified dust sampling technician, an individual must successfully complete the appropriate course accredited by EPA or by an EPA-authorized State or Tribal program.  The course completion certificate serves as proof of certification. 

For a list of states, tribes and territories authorized by EPA to administer their own programs, please refer to the “firm certification” tab on the RRP page for contractors.

Question Number: 23002-18511

Find a printable PDF copy of all frequent questions pertaining to lead.