An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »


Reporting a Violation of Lead Paint Rules in New England

EPA Region 1/New England will follow up on tips and complaints from the public regarding violations of laws that require people to be informed of potential lead-based paint hazards when they buy, rent or hire contractors to renovate a home or child-occupied facility. Exposure to lead paint is a serious health concern, especially for young children.

To report a violation of federal lead-based paint rules, follow these easy steps:

Residential Property Renovation Requirements - Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule - Firms and renovators that are paid to perform RRP projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes or child-occupied facilities (such as child care centers and schools) built before 1978 must follow the requirements in the RRP Rule. To report firms and renovators that are not following lead-safe work practices, did not notify property owners or occupants about potential lead-based paint hazards or are not Lead-Safe Certified Firms and/or Lead-Safe Renovators, you may:

Disclosure Rule - Home sellers and landlords of residential property built before 1978 must provide certain important information about lead paint before a prospective buyer or tenant is obligated under a contract to purchase or rent the property. To report a property owner/property manager who did not notify prospective purchasers or tenants of residential property about potential lead-based paint hazards, you may:

For more information about Lead:

All questions, tips or complaints about lead in drinking water should be directed to the Safe Drinking Water Hotline.