The Norwood Landfill Site consists of multiple areas, including the Old Norwood Dump, the Norwood Landfill, and the Winona Homes Neighborhood. Based upon EPA’s extensive historical research which includes historical aerial photos, newspaper archives from the late 1950’s through the mid-1960’s, historic Norwood Borough Council meeting minutes from the late 1950’s through the mid-1960’s and community input, each of these areas is geographically defined as follows:
Norwood Landfill: From 1960 to 1963, 15 acres of land located south of the Lower Norwood Neighborhood along Darby Creek was used as a sanitary landfill by Norwood Borough.
Old Norwood Dump: Approximately 10 acres of land on the eastern side of Norwood Park was used as an open dump from approximately 1950 through 1959. In approximately 1960, sanitary landfilling methods began, which required waste to be covered with dirt at the end of the day to prevent nuisances. The Old Norwood Dump was the first of the two areas to be landfilled in this manner.
Winona Homes Neighborhood: Potentially contaminated soil or “fill” may have been placed to grade this area for construction of homes.