An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Managing Stormwater at Auto Salvage and Recycling Facilities in Region 10

Most automotive salvage and recycling facilities in EPA's Region 10 (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington) are required to get a stormwater permit from either EPA or your delegated state agency.

On this page:

Why Do I Need a Permit?

Instructional Video: Stormwater Management for Auto Recyclers (18 min) 

Video developed by Sustainable Conservation with funding from EPA.Exit

Rain and snow can run off your property and carry pollution directly into streams, rivers, and lakes.

Some potential sources of pollution at your facility include:

  • Oil, gasoline and diesel fuel.
  • Transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake fluid.
  • Mineral spirits, washer fluid and gear oil.
  • Battery acid and solvents.
  • Mercury from switches, lamps and electronic devices (such as navigation aids and CD players).
  • Lead from lead-acid batteries, wheel weights and battery cable ends.
  • CFCs and other refrigerants.
  • Sodium azide from air bags.
  • Asbestos from brake shoes and clutches.
  • Tires (whole and shredded).
  • PCB from foam rubber, carpets and plastic components.
  • Metals such as aluminum, cadmium, copper, iron,zinc and lead.
  • Plastics.
  • Transmission and oil filters.

Top of Page

Do I Need a Permit from EPA or the State?

If your facility is in one of the following areas, then you need to apply for coverage under EPA's Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP):

  • Idaho.
  • Federal facilities in Washington.
  • Tribal lands within Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.

If your facility is not within one of the areas listed above, contact your state's stormwater program:

Top of Page

How Do I Apply for an EPA Permit?

1. Read EPA’s Multi-Sector General Permit

Download the MSGP permit and read it carefully. Remember that operators are responsible for complying with permit requirements.

2. Develop a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan

Your plan describes how you will keep pollution from getting into stormwater runoff at your facility. It must be completed before you apply for permit coverage.

More information on how to develop your storm water pollution prevention plan and a template you can use is available in EPA's Industrial Stormwater Fact Sheet Series (see Sector M: Automobile Salvage Yards).

3. Document Your Eligibility

You will need to assess the potential effects of your stormwater runoff on:

  • Federally-listed endangered and threatened species.
  • Any critical habitat located on or near the site.
  • Historic properties.

4. File a Notice of Intent (NOI) Application

Your NOI lets us know you are filing for permit coverage and that you have intend to comply with the requirements of the permit.

The fastest and easiest way to file an NOI for permit coverage is through Central Data Exchange (CDX) - EPA’s online permit application system.

Illustrated directions are available at electronic reporting under the MSGP (click on Accessing NeT-MSGP for New NOIs, Change NOIs, Annual Reports, NOTs, and NOEs).

Your permit coverage generally begins after a 30-day waiting period.

5. Implement Your Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan

Install the control measures and carry out the management practices in your stormwater pollution prevention plan.

Be sure to update your plan as conditions change at your facility, or if you change your practices.

Other important requirements in your permit include:

  • Periodically inspecting your facility.
  • Monitoring your stormwater discharges.
  • Reporting the results of your monitoring.
  • Keeping your stormwater controls in effective operating condition.
  • Submitting annual reports.

Top of Page

Related Information

The following links exit the site Exit

Top of Page

EPA Contacts

  • For stormwater compliance assistance, contact Stacey Kim ( at 206-553-1380.
  • For construction and industrial stormwater permits, contact Margaret McCauley ( at 206-553-1772.

Top of Page