Permit number: NMR040000
Effective date: July 1, 2007
Expiration date: June 30, 2012 (administratively continued)
NPDES general permit NMR040000 offers discharge authorization to regulated Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s) within New Mexico, except Indian Country lands. See Permit Documents below for a copy of the permit.
This permit expired on June 30, 2012, but it remains in effect for authorized discharges until a new permit is issued by EPA (see Proposal to Reissue NMR040000 below).
Proposal to Reissue NMR040000
In 2015, EPA proposed to reissue general permit NMR040000 for regulated small MS4s within the boundaries of the Census-designated 2000 and 2010 Farmington, Santa Fe, Los Lunas, Las Cruces and El Paso Urbanized Areas, and any other MS4s in New Mexico designated as needing an MS4 permit (other than those primarily located in Los Alamos County).
See Permit Documents below for a copy of EPA's 2015 draft permit and supporting documents. EPA accepted public comments on the draft permit from July 30, 2015 through December 18, 2015 (extended from October 28).
Refer to the following Federal Register notices for more information about the public comment process:
- Federal Register Notice - July 30, 2015 (original public notice)
- Federal Register Notice - September 16, 2015 (extension of comment period)
Note: When this permit was originally issued, permit coverage was actually provided by three legally separate and distinctly numbered permits (NMR040000, NMR04000I, and OKR04000I). Both NMR04000I and OKR04000I are considered terminated by expiration and are not being reissued.
The following MS4s are currently authorized by EPA to discharge under the 2007 permit NMR040000. This list is not intended to include all operators of MS4s within the Urbanized Area that would be eligible to use the general permit.
Farmington Urbanized Area
- City of Farmington (NMR04F001)
- San Juan County (NMR04F002)
- City of Aztec (NMR04F003)
- New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) – District 5 (NMR04F004)
Santa Fe Urbanized Area
- City of Santa Fe (NMR04S003)
- Santa Fe County (NMR04S004) - Incudes Agua Fria (NMR04S001) and Cienaga (NMR04AS002), which are census-designated places.
- New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMR04S005)
Las Cruces Urbanized Area
- Town of Mesilla (NMR04L001)
- New Mexico State University (NMR04L002)
- Dona Ana County (NMR04L003) - Includes Village of Dona Ana (NMR04L006), which is a census-designated place.
- City of Las Cruces (NMR04L004)
- New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) – District 1 (NMR04L005)
- Dona Ana Village (NMR04L006)
El Paso Urbanized Area
- Dona Ana County (NMR04L003) - Includes the City of Santa Teresa (NMR04E002), which is a census-designated place.
- City of Sunland Park (NMR04E003)
- New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) – District 1 (NMR04E005)
- City of Anthony (NMR04E001)
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
2007 NPDES General Permit for Discharges from Small MS4s (NMR040000, NMR04000I, OKR04000I) (PDF)(60 pp, 359 K,
July 1, 2007)
The 2007 NMR040000 permit remains in effect for authorized discharges in New Mexico until a new permit is issued by EPA.
2015 Draft NPDES General Permit for Small MS4s in New Mexico (NMR040000) (PDF)(82 pp, 2 MB,
Proposed permit to replace the expired 2007 permit.
2015 NPDES Permit Fact Sheet for Small MS4s in New Mexico (NMR040000) (PDF)(78 pp, 2 MB,
Technical basis for EPA's 2015 proposed general permit.
Estimating Predevelopment Hyrdrology for Urbanized Areas in New Mexico (PDF)(59 pp, 7 MB,
Technical report on predevelopment hydrological conditions.