An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Stormwater Discharges from Industrial Activities in Region 10


For questions about the Multi-Sector Stormwater General Permit, contact:

To report compliance problems, call our 24-hour reporting line at 206-553-1846 and leave a description of the problem, your contact information, and your MSGP tracking number.

For other stormwater information, visit Region 10 Stormwater Program.

In Region 10, EPA is the NPDES permitting authority for facilities in Idaho; facilities on Indian Country lands in Oregon and Washington; federal operators in Washington; and the Metlakatla Reservation and Denali National Park in Alaska.

If your facility is not within one of the categories listed above, contact your state's stormwater program:
On this page:

Do I Need a Permit?

Use this chart to help you decide whether you need to apply for coverage under the under the Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) for Industrial Stormwater: Industrial Stormwater Decision Chart (PDF)(1 pg, 9 K, About PDF).

What if everything we do is indoors?

You may submit a No Exposure Certification if all of your industrial materials and activities are protected by a storm resistant shelter to prevent exposure to rain, snow, snowmelt, and/or runoff. Read Appendix K of the MSGP: No Exposure Certification Form (PDF)(6 pp, 324 K) to determine if you're eligible for exclusion from stormwater permitting.

If eligible, file your No Exposure Certification online.

Other guidance for determining if you need a permit

Top of Page

How Do I Get a Permit?

  1. Read the 2015 Multi-Sector General Permit. An MSGP Technical Fact Sheet (PDF)(78 pp, 810 K) is also available.
  2. Prepare a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (see "Industrial Stormwater Guidance" below).
  3. Complete the endangered species determination.
  4. Complete the historic properties determination.
  5. Submit your Notice of Intent (NOI) online. Electronic submittal is required in most circumstances, but you can review the information needed in Appendix G: NOI for Industrial Stormwater Discharges (NPDES Form 3510-6) (PDF)(11 pp, 475 K).
  6. Wait for confirmation from EPA that your facility is covered (typically within 30 days).

Other guidance about obtaining a permit

Top of Page

I Have a Permit - Now What?

Check for special permit conditions

If your facility is located in the following areas, be sure to check Part 9.10 of the MSGP for details about additional permit conditions:

  • State of Idaho (except in Indian Country) (see Part 9.10.3)
  • Shoshone-Bannock Tribes (see part 10.4.1)
  • Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation (see part
  • Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Indian Reservation (see part
  • Lummi Nation (see part
  • Puyallup Tribe of Indians (see part
  • Swinomish Indian Tribal Community (see part
  • Tulalip Tribes (see part
  • Federal operators in Washington State (see part 9.10.7)

Operators in certain watersheds may have additional monitoring requirements from watershed plans (TMDLs) or the Endangered Species Act. For copies of EPA's notifications to these operators, please contact Stacey Kim (, 206-553-1380, or Margaret McCauley (, 206-553-1772.

Report compliance problems

Call EPA Region 10’s 24-hour reporting line at 206-553-1846 and leave a description of the problem, your contact information, and your MSGP tracking number.

Submit reporting forms

  • MSGP Documentation Template (Word File)(22 pp, 100 K) - Use these sample templates and forms to keep records of your monitoring, inspection, maintenance, visual evaluation, and corrective action activities.
  • MSGP Industrial Discharge Monitoring Report (MDMR) Form (PDF)(8 pp, 269 K) - If you cannot access the EPA's online eNOI reporting system, you can use this fillable PDF to submit your analytical monitoring results to EPA. You may also use this form as a checklist for the information you will need when submitting a MDMR electronically via eNOI.
  • Annual Reporting Form (PDF)(6 pp, 253 K) - Use this form to submit your annual reports to EPA that summarize your comprehensive site inspection and corrective actions taken during the year.

Other guidance for complying with your permit

Top of Page