NPDES Applications and Forms-EPA Applications
At this time EPA is currently unable to process paper NPDES permit applications that are mailed or delivered to an EPA Regional Office or Headquarters due to precautions being taken to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. If you would like to submit an individual permit application for an EPA-issued permit, please refer to the webpage of the appropriate EPA Regional Office for information on contacting EPA via email or other electronic means before submitting paper documents or notices to EPA, or visit the Regional NPDES contacts page.
EPA regulations at 40 CFR 122.21 establish permit application requirements for applicants seeking coverage under individual permits. In accordance with these regulations, EPA has developed eight individual permit application forms that correspond to different categories of dischargers subject to permitting.
On February 12, 2019, EPA finalized revisions to the application requirements at 40 CFR 122.21 in the final NPDES Applications and Program Updates Rule. The final rule became effective on June 12, 2019. On and after this date, applicants for EPA-issued NPDES permits are required to meet the new application requirements. EPA has updated each of the eight NPDES application forms to conform to the final rule and improve clarity and usability.
States that are authorized to administer the NPDES program might require use of EPA’s application forms or might have developed their own state-specific application forms. In either case, the final NPDES Applications and Program Updates Rule provides states up to one year to make conforming programmatic and regulatory changes, and up to two years if statutory changes are needed.
Note: For the best results, use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to open these files (see EPA’s About PDF page to learn more). Even though these publications are PDF files, these documents allow you to type directly onto the form and save the PDFs with the form fields populated. You should enter your facility information on the form, print it, sign it, and mail the form to the address stated in the instructions.
Applications for EPA-Issued NPDES Permits
Applicants for EPA-issued individual NPDES permits should use the application forms provided in the links below.
- NPDES Application Form 1: General Information - All applicants for individual NPDES permits, with the exception of publicly owned treatment works (POTWs) and other treatment works treating domestic sewage (TWTDS), must complete Form 1. Additionally, all applicants must complete one or more of the following forms: 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, or 2F. To determine the specific forms you must complete, consult the “General Instructions” for this form.
- NPDES Application Form 2A: New and Existing Publicly Owned Treatment Works - Complete this form if your facility is a new or existing POTW.
- NPDES Application Form 2B: Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations and Concentrated Aquatic Animal Production Facilities - Complete this form and Form 1 if your facility is a new or existing concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) or concentrated aquatic animal production (CAAP) facility.
- NPDES Application Form 2C: Existing Manufacturing, Commercial, Mining, and Silvicultural Operations – Complete this form and Form 1 if your facility is an existing manufacturing, commercial, mining, or silvicultural facility that currently discharges process wastewater.
- NPDES Application Form 2D: New Manufacturing, Commercial, Mining, and Silvicultural Operations That Have Not Yet Commenced Discharge of Process Wastewater – Complete this form and Form 1 if your facility is a new manufacturing, commercial, mining, or silvicultural facility that has yet to commence discharge of process wastewater.
- NPDES Application Form 2E: Manufacturing, Commercial, Mining, and Silvicultural Facilities Which Discharge Only Nonprocess Wastewater – Complete this form and Form 1 if your facility is a new or existing manufacturing, commercial, mining, and silvicultural facility that discharges only nonprocess wastewater.
- NPDES Application Form 2F: Stormwater Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity – Complete this form and Form 1 if you are a new or existing facility whose discharge is composed entirely of stormwater associated with industrial activity, excluding discharges from construction activity under 40 CFR 122.26(b)(14)(x) or (b)(15). If your discharge is composed of stormwater and non-stormwater, you must complete Forms 1 and 2F, and you must complete Form 2C, 2D, or 2E, as appropriate. See the “Instructions” inside for further details.
- NPDES Application Form 2S: New and Existing Treatment Works Treating Domestic Sewage – Complete Form 2S if you are a new or existing TWTDS.
Applications for State-Issued NPDES Permits
If you are located in a jurisdiction in which a state administers the NPDES program, you should contact the state to determine the appropriate application form(s) to submit before and following the effective date of EPA’s NPDES Applications and Program Updates Rule (June 12, 2019). See NPDES State Program Information for a list of states that have authorized NPDES permit programs and those that do not.