Stormwater Discharges from Industrial Activities-Fact Sheets and Guidance
EPA has developed a fact sheet for each of the 29 industrial sectors regulated by the MSGP. Each fact sheet describes the types of facilities included in the sector, typical pollutants associated with the sector, and types of stormwater control measures used to minimize the discharge of the pollutants.
- Sector A: Timber Products Facilities
- Sector B: Paper and Allied Products Manufacturing Facilities
- Sector C: Chemical and Allied Products Manufacturing and Refining
- Sector D: Asphalt Paving and Roofing Materials and Manufacturers and Lubricant Manufacturers
- Sector E: Glass, Clay, Cement, Concrete, and Gypsum Product Manufacturing Facilities
- Sector F: Primary Metals Facilities
- Sector G: Metal Mining (Ore Mining and Dressing) Facilities
- Sector H: Coal Mines and Coal Mining-Related Facilities
- Sector I: Oil and Gas Extraction Facilities
- Sector J: Mineral Mining and Processing Facilities
- Sector K: Hazardous Waste Treatment, Storage, or Disposal Facilities
- Sector L: Landfills and Land Application Sites
- Sector M: Automobile Salvage Yards
- Sector N: Scrap Recycling and Waste Recycling Facilities
- Sector O: Steam Electric Power Generating Facilities, including Coal Handling Areas
- Sector P: Motor Freight Transportation Facilities, Passenger Transportation Facilities, Petroleum Bulk Oil Stations and Terminals, Rail Transportation Facilities, and United States Postal Service Transportation Facilities
- Sector Q: Water Transportation Facilities with Vehicle Maintenance Shops and/or Equipment Cleaning Operations
- Sector R: Ship and Boat Building or Repair Yards
- Sector S: Vehicle Maintenance Areas, Equipment Cleaning Areas, or Deicing Areas Located at Air Transportation Facilities
- Sector T: Treatment Works
- Sector U: Food and Kindred Products Facilities
- Sector V: Textile Mills, Apparel, and Other Fabric Products Manufacturing Facilities
- Sector W: Wood and Metal Furniture and Fixture Manufacturing Facilities
- Sector X: Printing and Publishing Facilities
- Sector Y: Rubber, Miscellaneous Plastic Products, and Miscellaneous Manufacturing Industries
- Sector Z: Leather Tanning and Finishing Facilities
- Sector AA: Fabricated Metal Products Manufacturing Facilities
- Sector AB: Transportation Equipment, Industrial, or Commercial Machinery Manufacturing Facilities
- Sector AC: Electronic and Electrical Equipment and Components, Photographic, and Optical Goods Manufacturing Facilities
- Industrial SWPPP Guidance —Provides guidance on developing a SWPPP that meets MSGP requirements.
- EPA Industrial SWPPP Template(29 pp, 152 K)
(Word version) —Provides a template that industrial facilities can use to create their SWPPPs.
Note: All facilities must have a SWPPP completed before submitting their NOI for coverage under the 2015 MSGP.
- Additional MSGP Documentation Template(22 pp, 102 K) —Provides a form for keeping records on monitoring, inspection, maintenance, visual evaluation and corrective action activities.
- Industrial Stormwater Monitoring and Sampling Guide —Explains how to conduct visual and analytical monitoring of stormwater discharges. Can be used by facilities required to comply with MSGP’s monitoring requirements as well as facilities subject to state-issued industrial stormwater permits.
- EPA Region 10 Questions and Answers Regarding the MSGP —Provides answers to commonly asked questions in EPA Region 10 (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington).
- Approved or Established TMDLs -- Provides links to sources and program contacts related to approved or established TMDLs for waterbodies located in jurisdictions covered under the Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP).
- NPDES Compliance Monitoring Strategy - outlines inspection and compliance goals for the entire NPDES program, including stormwater. This new strategy, which takes effect in 2009, places increased emphasis on wet weather issues, particularly stormwater sources, and sets ambitious targets for audits and inspections of Phase I and II MS4s, construction sites, and industrial facilities.