An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Requesting a New or Modified Pesticide Tolerance

Foods in interstate commerce containing pesticide residues must be covered by pesticide tolerances or an exemption from the requirement of a tolerance. 

  • A tolerance or the exemption from the requirement of a tolerance must be established for each active and inert ingredient in the formulation before a pesticide can be registered for use on a food or feed crop, or for use in a food processing or storage area.
  • In addition, an amendment to an established tolerance may be required if an amendment is proposed for a currently registered use that might result in residue levels higher than the established tolerance.
  • Tolerances are required for pesticide residue resulting from the use of a pesticide in food or feed production in a foreign country.
  • Temporary tolerances are established for uses such as:
    • Experimental use of a non-registered pesticide.
    • Use of a pesticide under an emergency exemption from pesticide registration.

Before we can establish or amend a tolerance or tolerance exemption, a tolerance petition must be submitted.

More information about tolerance petitions.

Guidance on data requirements for tolerances on imported commodities in the United States and Canada.

When we receive a tolerance petition, we publish a notice in the Federal Register about the petition and accept comment for 30 days.

More information about public notice of tolerance petitions and other tolerance actions.