Pesticide Worker Protection Standard “How to Comply” Manual
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
EPA in conjunction with the Pesticide Educational Resources Collaborative (PERC) EXIT is making available a guide to help users of agricultural pesticides comply with the requirements of the 2015 revised federal Worker Protection Standard. You should read this manual if you employ agricultural workers or handlers, are involved in the production of agricultural plants as an owner/manager of an agricultural establishment or a commercial (for-hire) pesticide handling establishment, or work as a crop advisor.
This “How to Comply” manual includes:
- Details to help you determine if the WPS requirements apply to you.
- Information on how to comply with the WPS requirements, including exceptions, restrictions, exemptions, options, and examples.
- “Quick Reference Guide”- a list of the basic requirements (excluding exemptions, exceptions, etc.).
- New or revised definitions that may affect your WPS responsibilities.
- Explanations to help you better understand the WPS requirements and how they may apply to you.
This updated 2016 WPS How to Comply Manual supersedes the 2005 version. Changes to the standard have made the 2005 version obsolete. The first document below is the entire manual. The documents which follow are the individual chapters and appendixes.
The following links exit the site Exit
- How to Comply with the Worker Protection Standard for Agricultural Pesticides (146 pp, 3 MB)
- Preamble(16 pp, 881 K)
- Introduction to the Worker Protection Standard(8 pp, 176 K)
- Chapter 1: Determining your WPS Responsibilities(15 pp, 391 K)
- Chapter 2: Requirements for Agricultural Employers(16 pp, 307 K)
- Chapter 3: Additional Worker Employer Requirements(35 pp, 426 K)
- Chapter 4: Additional Handler Employer Requirements(20 pp, 452 K)
- Chapter 5: Requirements for Commercial Pesticide Handler Employers(10 pp, 288 K)
- Chapter 6: Exemptions and Exceptions(10 pp, 251 K)
- Chapter 7: Compliance with the Worker Protection Standard(6 pp, 198 K)
- Appendix A: Worker Protection Standard Definitions(4 pp, 78 K)
- Appendix B: Worker Protection Standard Criteria(10 pp, 83 K)
- Appendix C: Worker Protection Standard Checklists(8 pp, 78 K)
- Appendix D: Contacts and Additional Resources(6 pp, 227 K)