U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) hosted a National Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C. to take action on Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) in the environment.
The National Leadership Summit was held in Washington, D.C. from May 22-23, 2018. During the summit, participants worked together to:
- Share information on ongoing efforts to characterize risks from PFAS and develop monitoring and treatment/cleanup techniques
- Identify specific near-term actions, beyond those already underway, that are needed to address challenges currently facing states and local communities
- Develop risk communication strategies that will help communities to address public concerns with PFAS
- Agenda (dated May 18, 2018)
- Meeting Presentations
- List of Confirmed Organizations (May 22, 2018)
- Meeting Summary
To fully engage with communities in the weeks following the summit, EPA plans to travel to a number of states with communities impacted by PFAS. By visiting impacted communities, EPA intends to hear directly from the public on how to best help states and communities facing this issue. Using information from the National Leadership Summit, community engagements, and public input provided by the docket, EPA plans to develop a PFAS Management Plan for release later this year.
- Press Release: EPA to Convene National Leadership Summit to Take Action on PFAS (March 19, 2018)
- Press Release: Former Administrator Pruitt Kicks Off National Leadership Summit on PFAS (May 22, 2018)
- Press Release: Historic EPA Summit Provides Active Engagement and Actions to Address PFAS (May 23, 2018)
Questions and Answers
Where will the meeting be held?
The meeting took place at EPA headquarters in Washington, DC from May 22 - 23, 2018.
Who has been invited to attend?
EPA invited states, federal partners, territories, tribes and representatives from national organizations to attend.
How can I participate if I have not been invited?
EPA provided the opportunity for the public to join in a portion of the meeting via streaming online. To view the recorded portions of the meeting, please visit: https://19january2021snapshot.epa.gov/newsroom/multimedia-pfas-national-leadership-summit
EPA provided the public with the opportunity to send written input to EPA in the public docket by visiting https://www.regulations.gov/ enter docket number: OW-2018-0270. The docket is now closed.
Who can I contact if I have additional questions about the Summit?
You can send an email to email@example.com for any questions.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- PFAS National Summit Meeting Agenda (Updated with Speakers) (PDF)(3 pp, 556 K, May 18, 2018)
- Example_PFAS_letter_(Alabama) (PDF)(1 pg, 258 K, March 19, 2018)
- PFAS National Leadership Summit Meeting Summary (PDF)(9 pp, 867 K, August 2018)