Privacy Act System of Records: EPA Identification Card Record, EPA-19
[excerpted from: Federal Register: August 31, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 169)]
System Name: EPA Identification Card Record.
- Security Operations Branch, Security Management Division, Environmental Protection Agency, Ronald Reagan Building, 1200, Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20460;
- Regional EPA offices. See the appendix for regional office addresses.
Categories of Individuals Covered by the System: EPA employees and certain non-EPA employees, including contractors and grantees, who require identification cards to access EPA controlled facilities.
Categories of Records in the System:
- EPA Form 5110-1 EPA Identification Card Acknowledgment which contains the following information: Name, identification card credential number, height, weight, color of eyes/hair, date of birth, Social Security Number, position/title, grade, EPA office location, signature, date of issuance.
- EPA Form 1480-39 Official U.S. Government Identification which contains the following information: Name, Social Security Number, EPA office location, date of birth, height, weight, color of eyes/hair, signature, identification card credential number, date of issuance, and photograph of person issued the identification card.
- Photographs of individuals.
- Information captured by automatic card reader machines used to gain access to certain EPA facilities, including the individual's name, card credential number, date and time of access request, and location of access requested.
- Fingerprint information for individuals.
Authority for Maintenance of the System (includes any revisions or amendments): Executive Order 12072 (Aug. 16, 1978), Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949, 40 U.S.C. 121, and Executive Order 9397 (Nov. 22, 1943).
Purpose(s): To issue official U.S. Government identification cards to EPA employees and certain non-EPA employees requiring access to EPA-controlled facilities; to maintain a record of all holders of identification cards for renewal and recovery of expired cards; to manage and confirm requests for and access to EPA-controlled facilities; and to identify lost or stolen identification cards.
Routine Uses of Records Maintained in the System, Including Categories of Users, and the Purposes of Such Uses: General routine uses A, E, F, G, H and K apply to this system.
Policies and Practices For Storing, Retrieving, Accessing, Retaining, and Disposing of Records in the System:
Storage: The completed forms are kept in locked file cabinets in the Crystal City and Ronald Reagan badging offices. This system maintains records in two central command centers. These central command centers retain a record of each instance of request for access to an EPA-controlled facility. Each record indicates the time, location of card reader, and card credential number requesting access. This information can be linked to personally identifiable information using the central command center databases.
Retrievability: Records are retrieved by subject name and identification card credential number.
Safeguards: Computer records are maintained in a secure, password protected computer system. Paper records are maintained in locked file cabinets. All records are maintained in secure, access-controlled areas or buildings.
Retention and Disposal: Records are retained and disposed of in accordance with EPA Records Control Schedule 627, approved by the National Archives and Records Administration.
System Manager(s) and Address: Headquarters: Chief, Security Operations Branch, Security Management Division, Environmental Protection Agency, Ronald Reagan Building, MS3206R, and 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20460. Other locations: General Services Administration Manager at offices listed in the Appendix.
Notification Procedures: Any individual who wants to know whether this system of records contains a record about him or her, who wants access to his or her record, or who wants to contest the contents of a record, should make a written request to EPA FOIA Office, Attn: Privacy Act Officer, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, MC2822T, NW., and Washington, DC 20460.
Access Procedure: Requesters will be required to provide adequate identification, such as a driver's license, EPA identification card, or other identifying document. Additional identification procedures may be required in some instances.
Contesting Procedure: Requests for correction or amendment must identify the record to be changed and the corrective action sought. Requests for name changes must be accompanied by a copy of a current redacted SF-50, "Request for Personnel Action". The information contained in the fields identified by the following item numbers must be provided on the redacted form:
1. Name (Last, First, Middle).
2. Social Security Number.
4. Effective Date.
5. First Action (all fields, A-F).
6. Second Action (all fields, A-F).
7. FROM: Position Title and Number.
14. Name and Location of Position's Organization.
15. TO: Position Title and Number.
22. Name and Location of Position's Organization.
38. Duty Station Code.
39. Duty Station.
46. Employing Department or Agency.
47. Agency Code.
48. Personnel Office ID.
49. Approval Date.
50. Signature/Authentication and Title of Approving Official.
Complete EPA Privacy Act procedures are set out in 40 CFR part 16.
Record Source Categories: Information from EPA Form 5110-1 and EPA Form 1480-39 provided by applicant is entered manually into the central command center database.
System exempted from certain provisions of the Privacy Act: None.