An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Radiation Protection

What federal standards address radioactivity in food?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) sets standards for radioactivity in food. FDA sets derived intervention levels (DILs) – concentrations of radioactivity in food – which are used to determine whether domestic food in interstate commerce or imported food presents a safety concern. FDA determines whether protective actions are necessary on a case-by-case basis.

For more information, see Radionuclides in Imported Foods - Levels of Concern on 

The EPA is responsible for regulating radioactive contaminants in drinking water. For more information, see Radionuclides Rule.

Return to Frequent Questions about Radiation Protection.